Schedule Change Policy
*Schedule Change Requests will be accepted until 3:00 pm on Friday, August 24th
Much time and consideration has gone into your student’s placement and schedule at South Jordan Middle School. At South Jordan Middle School, we believe that every voice counts and that every child is as equally entitled to a positive learning experience as another. The Class change request policy was designed in accordance with Utah SB 122 which states:
“ An LEA shall reasonably accommodate a parent’s or guardian’s initial selection of a teacher or request for a change. Reasonably accommodate means an LEA shall make it’s best effort to enable a parent or guardian to exercise a parental right specified in section 53A-15- 1503 without substantial impact to staff and resources, including employee working conditions, safety and supervision on school premises and for school activities, and the efficient allocation of expenditures; and while balancing the rights of parents or guardians; the education needs of other students; the academic and behavioral impacts to a classroom; a teachers workload; and the assurance of the safe and efficient operation of a school. ‘
1. The learning environment is most productive when there is a balance of classroom size, diversity and academic ability.
2. Teachers have the responsibility to give input on student placement
3. All teachers provide equal opportunities for quality learning.
4. Students, parents and teachers should have an opportunity to learn to work with and appreciate various personalities.
5. Creating different mixes of students encourages new friendships and social community growth.
6. It is in the best interest of all students to control student placement combinations that could lead to disciplinary problems. Some combinations require a significant amount of classroom teacher time to regulate and can reduce teaching time for the rest of the class.
Procedure and Policy:
1. You must come to the SJMS Counseling Center to fill out a class transfer/change request form. A parent signature is required. Forms will be accepted until Friday, August 24th at 3:00 pm.
2. You may only fill out one class transfer/change request form per student. You can request multiple changes on that form, but only one form will be accepted per student.
3. Students must keep the same teacher both semesters in Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies.
4. Counselors will fill requests on a first come first serve basis.
5. Counselors will do their best to fill your request while acknowledging SJMS Beliefs and Policies.
College Readiness Resource for Parents
We have made every effort to ensure that all links leaving this site are appropriate. Jordan School District and South Jordan Middle School cannot be held responsible for information found on other Web sites.